Sunday 17 February 2013

Lemony Snicket week 6-7


Long time no reviewing. It feels like I haven’t review anything in so long. I feel like I haven’t anything in such a long time. I bet I’ve probably lost regular viewers, if I had any (feeling scared). I've still been reading as much as I can with the pres this week, again, sadly. I’ve gotten a little notebook that is just for writing book reviews, so it’s very good at reviewing on the go and not just on my laptop. Also I will now have reviews up every week from today. I’ve really missed it. Here’s this weeks review hope you enjoy it.

This week I will be reviewing the next two book in the (amazing) Lemony Snicket series know as A Series of Unfortunate Events. Which are books six, The Ersatz Elevator and book seven, The Vile Village.

In The Ersatz Elevator, The Baudelaire orphans are adopted by very, very rich people, whose penthouse apartment is located mysteriously close to the place where all their misfortune began. Even though their new home in the city is fancy, and the children are clever and charming, I'm sorry to say that still, the unlucky orphans will encounter more disaster and woe. In fact, in this sixth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events, the children will experience a darkened staircase, a red herring, an auction, parsley soda, some friends in a dire situation, a secret passageway, and pinstripe suits.

I found The Ersatz Elevator to be very entertaining. I know I’ve said in past reviews that the books were getting quite predictable, but by the middle of of this book it was changing in many ways. Things were found out and betrayals were made. Those are the things I thought Lemony Snicket wouldn't write, but he has and now I gotten into them even more. From the near death experiences to them getting away in the end.

Soon after the incident with The Austere Academy the children are taken on by another family. Esme and Jerome Squalor.
Esme is completely over obsessed with what is in and what is out (concerning fashion and style) at every second of every day. That is one of the reasons I find her character so eccentric. She is just amazing, she may not have one little care for the Baudelaire siblings. She would be horrid to them and make them wear a hideous suits that are to big for them. The fact that she doesn't care for anyone else's welbeing I one of the reasons I’m intreged by her. Also She has quite a secret, one you wouldn’t expect.
Jeronme is a bit of a push over and agrees with someone even if they’re wrong, just so an argument doesn't break out. He is quite a very plain and simple person.

In The Vile Village, Mr. Poe has run out of options on places to send the children. He then sends them to a village called V.F.D. where the children are being raised by everyone in it. “It takes a village to raise a child”. I’m this book the children will face migrating crows, an angry mob, a newspaper headline, the arrest of innocent people, the Deluxe Cell, and some very strange hats.

I would have to say that The Vile Village would have to be my favorite of the series so far. From what you expect to happen in each book, is not what you get in this one. You would expect the children to be inventing, reading and well.. Biting, but that’s not the case. They’re also this on the search for they’re friends the Quagmire triplets, Isadora and Duncan.

I really enjoyed this book more than the first few, it’s not at all what you expect. I actually finished this book in one day because I got so intrigued by it all. There was just something about this book that made me not want to put it down for more than 2.3 seconds.
One thing I love about Isadora is that she is a poet, the couplets she wrote were one of the things I waited to read about, especially her ones that were actually riddles in themselves. I have to admit though I only got one or two right.

“Are you ready?“ Klaus asked finally.
“No,” Sunny answered.
“Me neither,” Violet said, “but if we wait until we’re ready we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives, Let’s go.”

“It was darker than a pitch-black pather, covered in tar, eating black licorice at the very bottom of the deepest part of the Black Sea.”


“There is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time.”

“For Beatrice-
When we were together I felt breathless.
Now, you are.”

I would recommend these books to ten and up and would give The Ersatz Elevator four out of five stars, and would give The Vile Village four out of five stars. I realised how much I’ve missed reviewing, I promise to never miss another one. Thanks for reading.




1 comment:

  1. Amazing as ever, your reviews were very much missed... Glad to have you back! :-)

    ReplyDelete