Monday 21 January 2013

Lemony Snicket Week 4-5


This is the second Lemony Snicket week now, I think it’s working out according to plan. I’m just going to review to books this week, I find that to be easier since I had to much to write about the books in the first review and I didn’t have enough time or space to write it all. So hopefully it’ll be easier this week.

The two books I will be reviewing are the forth and fifth, The Miserable Mill and The Austere Academy, written by Lemony Snicket of coarse. I have to say they weren’t as good as the first three but they were still morbid and interesting.

One thing I find about the books is this it seems to be the same thing happening in each book. The three children get sent to a new home and guardian who is either cruel or has a problem in there life. Count Olaf dresses up and discusses himself, but it seems the adults are dimwitted and don’t believe when the children say it’s Olaf. He always nearly has the children in his grasp but they just get away just nearly, but I found with the fifth book there was a little twist which has really put my faith back in the books. I’m excited to read the next one.

The Miserable Mill is the forth book, the plot to this one is that the children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, are sent to Paltryville to work in a lumber mill. They find disaster and misfortune lurking behind every log. They’re sent to live with the workers, to work and be treated like a worker. One thing I love about these books is that they’re realistic, but this book disappointed me with that. The fact that he think that a baby can fight a grown woman who has a sword, defending herself with just her four sharp teeth is beyond me.

In The Austere Academy, the children are sent to a boarding school, which was really smart to put in the books I think, so the children could learn, invent, read and bite things. I really enjoyed this book because the children have actually made friends. Two other orphans, know as the Quagmire triplets, Isadora and Duncan. You’ll understand when you read the book why twins are known as triplets. The Baudelaire children have to face snapping crabs, strict punishments, dripping fungus, comprehensive exams, violin recitals, S.O.R.E., and the metric system.

I’m really enjoying these books, when ever they let me down in some case they always give me a reason to keep on reading. I would give The Miserable Mill three out of five stars and would give The Austere Academy five out of five stars. I’m really enjoying writing about this one series of books, I’m looking forward to next time.




                             

1 comment:

  1. Excellent as ever Cli, glad to see your enjoying the books... Read on... :)

    ReplyDelete