Monday 28 January 2013

Tell me no Lies


I think this may be one of the last reviews I’ll be doing, at least till after my pres. Hopefully I’ll get one up next Monday, I’ll have to wait and see. Anyway about the book I read for this week. It’s quite a short book, only a hundred and ninety-seven pages. Another thing is that this books surprised me an awful lot, I don’t mean that in the case of the story, but in the theme of the book. From the way it explained it on the back of the book it didn't turn out exactly the way I was expecting. Let me explain by telling you the description of the back of the book.

Mike could feel her eyes like lasers, boring into his back. He had to fight not to turn around. Did she know his face? Had she recognized him?
Gemma cuts out pictures of her scrapbook - pictures of mothers, like the one she will never, ever see again.
Mike is a new boy at school; a boy who is desperate not to be noticed - who has a secret so terrible it will haunt him forever.
But Gemma’s sure she’s seen Mike’s face before. And now she’s out to get him.

Okay now to me hen I read that it sound like a mystery book, with suspicion, discovery and maybe a murder. But after reading it I realised half way through it wasn't what I thought. This book, “Tell me no lies” by Malorie Blackman, Is not very well described when saying the story. Even the praise at the start of the book from different places misdirected me. For example “This story goes at a fast pace and has a nightmare logic that is gripping and disturbing”, written by Nicholas Tucker, Independent. From these descriptions and the cover of the book I never would have guessed it was all based on bullying.

After realising the real theme I have to say it wasn't half bad. I’m not into bullying books myself I find them to sad or depressing, which is funny because some of my favorite books to read are murder novels. One thing I enjoy about a book is when the story switches between two characters and how it explains how they both fee in the situation at hand. In this story it explains each side to the bullying, the bullied and the one doing the bullying.

I really like though the fact that both Mike and Gemma’s personal life were so interesting and private. How they hide their emotions when other people were around and in the ways they hid it.

Overall It was a good book, even if it wasn't what I hoped. I would give this book four out of five stars and recommend it to elevens and up. I think next time a pick up a book I’m going to make sure I know what it’s about first.



1 comment: